Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 5 - Conclusion

I wasn't able to schedule a time today while the sun was still up to go out and do the shadow project. Instead, I'll offer some final thoughts on what I've done this week.

Initially, I was hesitant to go out and perform a work of art where the performance, and thus myself, were the main aspect of the work. This hypothesis was largely supported by my experiences, as people who commented on the work in progress said "that guy" a lot more often than they said "those drawings" or "that event," or anything similar. I and my actions were the focus, and this was uncomfortable for me.

This process of direct interaction with the viewer may be rewarding for some: performance artists, musicians, actors, etc. but it isn't what I'm after, preferring to produce an object which then becomes the focus of the discourse.

1 comment:

Ellen Yu said...

I guess some artists get a thrill out of the interaction than the finish art piece. You did a fabulous job overcoming the pressure of people looking over your shoulder.

Maybe you should comeback to some of the chalk drawings (if they are still there) to see if people still notice them without your presence.