Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Project #1: Day 1 - Prelude

Been thinking about a few options for Project #1.

1) Stand around on the mall, looking up at a specific point on a building, possibly pointing occasionally at said spot. Predicted audience response: some of them will look up as well.

2) On the mall again, stepping over invisible obstructions on the sidewalk. A mime-esque routine where I would interact with objects that aren't really there.

3) You know those chalk outlines at murder scenes? I'm going to draw those, but around pieces of litter instead of corpses - treating discarded waste as if it were on the same level as human remains. I may or may not remove the litter after outlining it in chalk.

I decided to go with option number 3, repeating it in different places over a three day period. After discussing the project with an activist friend who's providing temporary housing for traveling protesters, I decided to perform this activity several days prior to the actual DNC. It's going to be packed downtown during the convention, and I'm not putting myself at risk to be shot by microwave or pepper guns.

I'll update tomorrow with pictures of the first run.

1 comment:

tgwalker said...

OMG. The PAIN RAY? Are you serious? What Distopic Novel are we currently residing in, anyway?

Your project sounds pretty awesome actually. There best be pix on here soon.